Sunday 17 March 2013

increase intensity using 2 legs by slowing down the movement, with longer statics, or holding onto a weight| Critical MAS

Lower Risk Alternatives to the Barbell Back Squat | Critical MAS

MAS
@Craig – If I detected a strength imbalance between my right and leg leg, I might use single leg movements to get them equal. However, I’m not a fan of them in general. Although they increase the intensity, the safety of the movement is reduced. I flat out do not like the Pistol.
http://criticalmas.com/2011/11/rejecting-the-naked-warrior/


I can increase intensity using 2 legs by slowing down the movement, performing longer statics or holding onto a weight during the movement. The last thing I want to do is twist my knee trying to come up from a final rep of a 1-legged squat.

  1. Sifter
    “Trust me when I say that a single Wall Squat taken to total failure can produce as much muscular fatigue as a 20 mile hike.”

    Yes, but the question is …does it build strength? I’m no fan of Pavel, but I think his idea of low reps short of failure build strength more than a wall sit. The wall sit will build fatigue, and muscular endurance, which may be more of what you want or need. But strength? two different things in my opinion.
  2. MAS
    @Sifter – How does one quantify strength? In my example, I used a 20 mile hike. When I did traditional bodybuilding and Pavel, I couldn’t complete a 20 mile hike. Now it is almost effortless.
  3. Sifter
    Then that tells me that perhaps pure strength is overrated, and that indeed the muscle endurance factor, and building resistance to fatigue, are indeed the way to go. Your good results speak for themselves. Congrats.