Saturday 22 February 2014

A few short, intensive bursts of exercise each week can bring dramatic benefits.

Michael Mosley is on the fast track to fitness | The AustralianThe Australian
January 18, 2014
    Michael Mosley says a few short, intensive bursts of exercise each week can bring dramatic benefits.

    Michael Mosley says a few short, intensive bursts of exercise each week can bring dramatic benefits.

    A YEAR ago I wrote a book that changed my life. A middle-aged
    medical journalist, I found myself the unlikely author of an
    international bestseller, The Fast Diet, and the recipient of a lot of grateful emails. 


    Now I'm hoping to do it again with Fast Exercise. Fast Exercise is
    based on a surprising and radical claim - that you can get fitter,
    healthier and better toned with just a few minutes of intense exercise a
    day, three days a week.


    For those who missed it, the Fast Diet - often known as "the 5:2" -
    is based on the idea of intermittent fasting,
    also known as IF. Instead of aiming for slow, steady calorie
    restriction - the approach recommended by sensible dietitians that most
    people find impossible to stick to - with IF you slash your calories,
    but for only a couple of days a week (hence the catchphrase the 5:2).
    Although it may sound faddish, intermittent fasting is based on careful
    scientific studies (mainly animal, but some human) that suggest it not
    only leads to weight loss but has multiple other health benefits.

    I was convinced enough by the science to make a documentary and then
    to write a book. I remember, shortly after we delivered the manuscript a
    year ago, pointing out to my co-author, Mimi Spencer, that there are
    about 50,000 diet books available online and the odds of us making an
    impact were, to say the least, slim. Mimi, who is an incurably
    optimistic Tigger to my Eeyore, was convinced we would succeed because
    our approach was offering not just a science-based diet but a modern
    take on an old tradition. Fasting, after all, has a long history. "It
    will be huge," she announced, as we sipped our calorie-free tea. She was
    right. As well as numerous doctors, politicians and a Nobel
    prizewinner, there have been endorsements from the likes of food writer
    Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and actor Benedict Cumberbatch.



    One of the most striking things about the Fast Diet is how many men not only
    embrace it but are happy to tell the world they are doing it. I think it
    helps that "fasting" sounds challenging. It is also simple and
    straightforward, which again seems to appeal to men. Mimi's father is
    certainly a poster boy for this approach. Over the past few months he
    has lost more than 16kg and has had to buy new trousers. This is
    something I can identify with as I have lost 10kg, a few inches around
    my middle and found that most of my clothes no longer fit. I hate
    shopping but fortunately I have sons whose clothes I can now borrow (I
    haven't told them). I'm also wearing suits from 20 years ago that I
    never got around to throwing out.

    Although I'm pleased with the weight loss, for me intermittent
    fasting was never about getting slimmer.

    Eighteen months ago I went to my GP with a suspicious mole and
    she suggested I have my blood tested. The mole turned out to be benign
    but the blood results were not. I had a fasting glucose of 7.3 mmol/l,
    which made me diabetic, and a "bad" cholesterol (LDL) of 5.5 mmol/l (the
    recommended level is less than 3). I shouldn't have been surprised
    because my father, who struggled with his weight all his life, died of
    complications from diabetes in his early 70s. I'd never felt the need to
    diet because I had never seen myself as overweight. Yes, I weighed in
    at 85kg, but when I looked in the mirror I saw someone slim, ageing
    well, almost athletic. This wasn't simply a case of middle-aged
    delusion; the surplus fat really was invisible. My fat wasn't sitting
    under my skin, bulging out in unseemly places. It was visceral fat,
    buried deep inside my body. I went for an MRI and saw not just the odd
    dab but litres of the stuff inside my abdomen, coating and clogging my
    internal organs. Visceral fat is particularly unhealthy because it is
    metabolically active, increasing your risk of diabetes and heart
    disease. It is surprisingly common, even in people of normal weight.

    Rather than start on a conventional diet, I decided to try intermittent
    fasting. Unlike proper, hardcore fasting where you live for days or even
    weeks on few if any calories, IF involves a few days a week when you
    eat about a quarter of your normal calories. Being a television
    presenter with a taste for self-experimentation, I naturally made a
    documentary about my adventures. In the course of making Eat, Fast, Live Longer I
    came across different ways you can do intermittent fasting. The
    best-studied approach and the one that is likely to lead to the most
    rapid weight loss is ADF, alternate day fasting. As the name implies,
    you cut your calories every other day. I tried ADF but found it hard
    going and settled instead on a 5:2 pattern, cutting my calories two days
    a week. If you don't splurge on your non-fast days then this should
    lead to a weight loss of almost half a kilogram a week.

    Dr Michelle Harvie and Professor Tony Howell of the Genesis Breast Cancer
    Prevention Centre, who have done proper clinical studies comparing two
    days a week of calorie restriction against a standard diet, found that
    those on the two-day diet lost nearly twice as much fat (about 4kg) as
    those on a standard diet, as well as seeing greater improvements in key
    biochemical markers such as insulin sensitivity. Intermittent fasting
    won't suit everyone, but it worked for me. Not only did I lose a lot of
    fat (10cm off my waist, 5cm off my neck) but I also saw huge
    improvements in my fasting glucose and cholesterol levels, both of which
    are now in the healthy range.



    Yet even when I was doing IF I knewit was not enough.
    I realised that if I was going to maximise my
    chances of living into a healthy old age then I needed to do more
    exercise. The trouble is I hate running, jogging or going to the gym.
    Instead, I've taken up a very different approach, pioneered by (among
    others) Professor Jamie Timmons of Loughborough University. Jamie
    introduced me to HIT, high intensity training. Like IF, HIT is a radical
    solution to a modern problem, in this case how to get the most from a
    workout in the least possible time. HIT also eschews the "moderation in
    all things" approach. Instead of plodding away on a treadmill or cycling
    at a steady, sensible pace, with HIT you do a few extremely short
    bursts of exercise, intense enough to get your heart rate soaring,
    interspersed with a couple of minutes of recovery. A few such bursts
    (lasting anywhere between 20 seconds and one minute) done three times a
    week can produce dramatic changes. Numerous trials have shown that HIT
    not only makes people aerobically fitter in a remarkably short time but
    also metabolically fitter. In particular, it improves the body's ability
    to process the glucose surge you get after a meal. As someone with a
    genetic propensity to develop diabetes, this is particularly important.


    Early versions of HIT were tough, best suited to those who were already
    athletic. Modified versions have recently been tested on people who are
    older, heavier and in less good health, such as those with heart
    disease. Done properly it is safe, effective and surprisingly enjoyable.
    It burns more fat than conventional exercise and, best of all, it's
    over in less time than it takes to drive to the gym. A self-confessed
    couch potato, I've been doing short versions of high-intensity training
    for almost a year, with impressive results. During that time I teamed up
    with journalist Peta Bee. Despite the fact that we have very different
    attitudes to exercise (she loves it, I loathe it) and she started out
    super-fit (I wasn't), we bonded over a mutual enthusiasm for HIT. We
    hope HIT will be a hit.