Saturday 9 February 2013

Intermittent Fasting | Critical MAS

Intermittent Fasting | Critical MAS

Intermittent Fasting
In 2008 I began experimenting with Intermittent Fasting (IF). Intermittent Fasting means alternating feeding and fasting periods with a goal of extending the fasting portion to stimulate positive hormonal changes. For health and fat loss purposes, a period of 16 to 24 hours is the most common.

In addition to eliminating bread completely, I would say Intermittent Fasting is the best thing one can do to improve their health. Going without food builds resilience. It toughens you up. You will conquer your fear of hunger. Hunger becomes preferable to poor food choices. The confidence you build from controlling your hunger will spill over into other aspects of your life.

My Intermittent Fasting mentors are Arthur De Vany and Brad Pilon. If you are interested in learning more about the science of IF, I highly recommend the e-book Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon. I bought it in 2008 and read it twice. It really helped me understand how the human body responds to fasting.

Also check out Thor’s Guide on Intermittent Fasting.

Below are a list of posts that I have done on the topic of Intermittent Fasting.

Intermittent Fasting – Not For Everyone, But Perfect For Me – This is the disclaimer post. Read it before you decide to start an IF program.

Intermittent Fasting – Fears and Motivation – My first post where I examine the case for and against fasting.

Intermittent Fasting – Adventures in Not Eating – My second post details how a fast looks on a schedule and my early experiences.

Intermittent Fasting – Tips and Advice – Some wisdom I gained from my early IF experience.


An Empty Plate by Karithina

Intermittent Fasting – 20 Times – An IF status report.

Proving that Diet is WAY MORE Important Than Exercise – IF really helped me understand how diet is really far more important than exercise when it comes to body composition.

Intermittent Fasting – Overcoming Objections – In the post I address some objections to Intermittent Fasting.

Somehow I Stayed Thin While the Other Guys Got Fat – My discussion about IF with a personal trainer and his overweight client.

Intermittent Fasting – The Common Cold – Should you starve a fever and feed a cold? I did a test to find out.

Intermittent Fasting – Reports From the Field – Enough about me. This post solicits feedback from others.

Intermittent Fasting – Protection From Cancer – This post explains how IF could have a protective role against cancer.

Autophagy and Loading Trucks For UPS – This post touches on how cells can self clean provided that you interrupt the nutrient flow.

Intermittent Fasting – Improving Your Success Rate – Some new ideas on IF.

Intermittent Fasting – The 16/8 Update – My report after switching from 22 hour to 16 hour fasts.

Intermittent Fasting – Seasonal Strategies – My own twist on Intermittent Fasting. I am currently adjusting my fasting periods based upon the season.

Eat Stop Eat – A Guide Book For Intermittent Fasting – My review of the e-book Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon.

Intermittent Fasting – 70 Day Review of the Leangains Method – My status report after 70 days of 16 hour daily fasts.

Intermittent Fasting – Spontaneous and Random – Art De Vany reminds me the importance of breaking free of daily fasting schedules.

Intermittent Fasting – Life After Leangains – This post details how I’ve done since rejecting the daily adherence to the Leangains program.

Intermittent Fasting – The No Hunger Method – I tested this idea came from the Perfect Health Diet blog and book.

Intermittent Fasting – Mistakes I’ve Made – Four lessons I’ve learned.